Tuna Melt - Sans Onions

Tuna melt is a classic lunch (or dinner) that can be made dozens of ways. I think everyone has their own take on this sandwich and that's what is so unique about it. No one makes a tuna melt like your Mother and eating one will take you back to childhood.

I have a thing about tuna melts, and that is I don't like onions in them. I love cooked onions. Raw? Hmmmmm not so much. And if I can be real, I think the raw onion in a tuna melt ruins it. Yep I said it! Those true to onion in their tuna can move along if you wish but try this version out and see if you really miss it.



My secret to making this tuna melt poppin' is to pour about 1 Tbsp of the pickle juice in the mixture. Making sure to use sweet pickles, it makes the recipe.

Okay, I can't really think of anything else to say about tuna so here, we go....










Topped this with Pepper Jack Cheese and a little arugula


That's a second piece, with Sriracha. 




print recipe

Tuna Melt - Sans onion
If you're like me and want a tuna melt with no onions, look no further!
Ingredients
  • 1 can Tuna (flaked, white)
  • 6-8 slices Sweet pickles (diced)
  • 1 Plum tomato (diced)
  • 2 generous Tbsp Mayonnaise
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Pepper
  • 1/4 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
  • 2 slices Bread (any kind you like)
  • 2 slices Cheese (any kind you like)
  • 1 generous Tbsp Pickle juice
Instructions
- Take the diced pickles, tomato and tuna and place in a bowl- Add the salt, pepper, Old Bay Seasoning, mayo and pickle juice. Mix to combine- Taste the tuna mixture to check the seasoning and adjust to your liking.- Spoon the tuna mixture evenly on the 2 slices of bread- Place a slice of cheese on each slice of bread and place in a toaster oven on broil until cheese is bubbling and dig in!
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 1-2

No comments

Haters not welcome

Back to Top