Mexican is so packed with flavour, it's an easy way to a crowd pleasing meal - it just calls for celebration. Pass the margarita and make it a double!
So this meal is what I would call a lazy white girl from Canada's version of chicken enchiladas. This meal is quick, easy, no fuss, with all the taste of Mexico that we love.
|With the sliced pepper jack that I had, I added right in the enchy. Not required though.|
|See how it is ripped there? Doesn't matter!|
Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas
This is my white-girl-from-Canada-lazy version of enchiladas. These are quick, filling, packed with flavor and healthy. You can use some of those saved calories for a cervesa!
- 1 package Large flour or corn tortillas
- 1-2 cups Shredded cheese
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 2-3 cloves Garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 can Black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 large Tomato (diced)
- 2 cups Rotisserie chicken (taken off carcass and either shredded or chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Chili powder
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (optional,chopped)
- 1 small jar Salsa
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 jar or package Enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F- Heat a pan on MED heat- Add the oil and the chopped onion. Let cook until onion is soft- Add garlic and let cook for about 2 mins- Add tomato and salt and pepper. Let cook for a few minutes until everything is combined- Add the chicken and stir to coat with the onion, tomato mixture.- Add the beans and chili powder and about 1/2 jar of salsa, use more if you want it more "saucy". Stir and allow everything to cook for 5 mins. Stir occasionally- Add the cilantro near the end of cooking (if using)- In a deep baking dish, spread a little of the enchilada sauce on the bottom. This will keep the enchiladas from stickingTake a tortilla and fill with the chicken and bean mixture in the center. Roll up like a burrito and place in the baking dish. - Repeat for about four tortillas - however many can fit in your dish- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas and add the shredded cheese- Place in the oven and bake for about 15 mins. Put on broil for the last minute or two if you want to brown and crisp the cheese, this is entirely optional- Serve with sliced avocado or over rice or with sour cream, even alone is good. Enjoy!
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4